BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, February 7, 2008

vegan mayo substitute

if you want to make any of my salads that call for mayonnaise, but wish to forego the dairy and egg ingredients, here is the following recipe:
1/2 cup of soy milk
1/4 teaspoon mustard
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
Dash of salt[ I use sea salt]
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
6 teaspoons of vegetable oil

1. Combine the soy milk, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and paprika in a blender. Use a low setting and do not over mix. Slowly add the oil, one drop at a time. This will cause the mixture to thicken. Once all the ingredients have been added, mix until a smooth texture is achieved. As with regular mayonnaise, keep it refrigerated.

Makes about 3/4 cup.
****you can experiment a bit with this, I have found I prefer to leave out the paprika and mustard in most cases, but this is a great addition if you are making egg salad, I know I know, no eggs...but firm thin slices of tofu can fool the eye and the taste buds, slice it up so it looks "eggy" add you regular ingredients, i like to use celery, green onions and kosher dill pickle bits too, add the fake mayo with the mustard and paprika, and you get what looks and tastes like egg salad without any eggs or dairy included, great for low cholesterol diets and for those folks who would eat a dozen eggs at one sitting...they can eat all this they want without any of the residual effects off the other ingredients!

0 comments: